Breakfast is the most important meal of the day- especially for children. Your child will focus better and learn more when s/he has had a good nutritious breakfast. A morning snack at school should not replace breakfast for your child. Instead, this can be an additional eating time to keep your child going strong during the day.
A great thing you could do is to plan time each morning to eat with your child - this can be as little as ten minutes. Your child will not only get the opportunity to have a full stomach before coming to school, but s/he will look forward to the time spent with you each morning.
These are some easy kid-approved breakfasts:
- Waffles (many kids are happy with them plain and slightly warmed)
- Microwavable pre-made pancakes
- Cereal - usually a favorite!
- Eggs - leftovers thrown in the microwave are easy
- Yogurt - with or without Granola topping
- Bagel - plain or with butter, cream cheese or peanut butter topping
- Cinnamon Toast
Encourage your child to share what they ate for breakfast with their school teachers, it always sparks a fun conversation! It also gives them something to be proud of when starting the day.
Favorite Kid Quote regarding breakfast, "My mom had coffee and I had cereal. Mom said it wouldn't be good to mix them up. But we still ate them together."